If you using Jailbroken iOS 5 on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad you may know that iOS 5 is only tethered Jailbreak for now and you will need to boot tethered you device everytime your device gets reboots/restarts. But here is a very good solution to bypass this act by using semitether Jailbreak for iOS 5 which will allow you to use iOS 5 even if your device gets rebooted (without being stuck on apple logo).
Difference Between SemiTether, Tethered and Untethered Jailbreak iPhone?
Untethered completely jailbreaks your iOS so you don’t need to connect your device to computer every time your device reboots. It’s the best Jailbreak solution for iOS but for now it’s not available for iOS 5 so users using Tethered Jailbreak to Jailbreak iOS 5 which is another form of Jailbreak in which user connects his device and use Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze to boot tethered their device every time their device get’s rebooted.
But there is state in between untethered and tethered Jailbreak it’s called Semitether which will allow you to boot your device normally as it does in Untethered Jailbreak but one down side is that some of the stock apps and Jailbroken apps won’t work until you use “boot tethered” using Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze (iBooty). Semitether is helpful in such cases when you are on road and you don’t have connection to computer so with semitether your device will boot and work but some apps won’t work until you get home and connect it to your computer and boot tethered it.
SemiTethered: Summed up point:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
Now, there are some other caveats to installing this package:
1) The device will take longer to boot up. When you reboot, it has to reload every service. It will respring a couple times also.
2) According to Saurik, there are some “problems” to reloading all daemons on the fly. This is why mobile substrate installation requires “reboot device” in cydia. I have not experienced any of these problems, but I am not promising they do not exist. This is why we will need testing to see which problems may occur.
Supported devices & firmares
You know, they’re still the same. No iPad 2 or iPhone 4S support. It supports iOS 5 on the following devices.
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPod Touch 3G
How To SemiTether Jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad:
Step 1: Your device should be running iOS 5 with tethered Jailbreak (Follow Guide To Jailbreak)
Step 2: Once Jailbroken Go To “Cydia” on your homescreen.
Step 3: Tap Manage and go to sources.
Step 5: Once the source get’s added go to search tab and search for SemiTether, and install it
Voila now your device turned from tethered Jailbreak to Semitethered Jailbreak state, now your device won’t stuck on Apple logo while in reboot. and you will be able to use your phone if you not near to your computer but yeah many apps won’t work so you have to connect to computer to boot tethered your device.